background

Monday, December 27, 2010


It's been a while!! We have kept busy over the last month with all the holiday festivities!! I know I say this every year, but this was our best Christmas yet :)...besides the fact that I ate my weight in sweets (once again :)) Over the last month, we have had so much fun seeing lots of family and friends, and also spending alot of time with our own little family, learning about the real reason we celebrate. As Caleb will tell you: "IT'S JESUS' BIRTHDAY!" He was been learning a lot about the first Christmas, and one day, he even asked me, "Mommy, do you have baby Jesus in you tummy?" Haha, NOPE, no babies in there- just Christmas candy...haha.

We are just shocked at how much our little man is growing and learning! He is definitely changing and it's been fun to see his little personality shine through. He has the sweetest heart, and loves to love on his mama :) But he is also very protective of Ellie and me! When other kids take toys from Ellie, he promptly goes and takes it back and gives it to her! One day, I was at his preschool hanging out with Caleb and the other kids while they were having their snack, and one of his friends jokingly said to me, "Go away!" Caleb yelled from across the room: "Hey! Don't tell my mommy to go away!" It was really cute. And he is almost totally potty trained now!!!! I can't believe I am even writing that, because as all of those close to us know, this has been a battle!!! We've been trying for close to a year now off and on, and begging, pleading, and bribing him for the last many months. FINALLY, he is really catching on. He loves wearing his Cars undies and has been doing awesome! We've come a long way- it was only a week ago that we were trying to get him to go poop on the potty, and he was refusing, saying "I don't want a cookie, I don't want to watch a movie, I don't want anything!!" and then he proceeded to sing (to the tune of "Jingle Bells"): "Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, I don't want to poop..."

Speaking of Christmas carols, Caleb absolutely loves them! We have constantly been hearing the sweet sound of our little three year old's versions of all the best Christmas songs this year! He sings them everywhere we go- in the car, the doctor's offices (we have frequented many as of late), and grocery stores. Ellie tries to join in with him, too- her fave part is saying "HEY!" at the end of the Jingle Bells song :) His favorite is "Holly Jolly Christmas" (he has his own words. He says: "Have a holly jolly Christmas, it's the best time for the deer!......say hell-o to friends you know, and have a cup of cherries!" haha.. Here are a few samples for you to enjoy!

Caleb also 'sang' in front of the church this year with the other preschoolers. It was pretty cute- C was the one in the front row, looking around and staring at the other kids- I don't think he sang but a few words! And when he saw Daniel in the audience, he pointed and said "Hey! That's my dad!!!"
Right before:

Caleb also got to go see the a special movie premiere of Toy Story 3 with Daddy. They had SO much fun!We have had a really hard time this winter with being sick! For a couple months straight, at least one of us had something: everything from colds to stomach flu (x2) to ear infections to strep with scarletina, fevers of 105 degrees, the lists goes on and on. I have to say, it was very frustrating. Especially when Ellie threw up all over her brand new carseat! Caleb did the same thing we he was about her age-

At Thanksgiving, Caleb had a blast hanging out with his Grandpa Charles (whom he lovingly refers to as "Grandpa Jars")!And lots of other family, family, family!
Hanging out with Uncle John:Grandpa Mike:Grandma Marcia, Uncle Ryan and Teresa, and Aunt Ashly:
Great Uncle Don and Aunt Jan:
Great Grandma Payne:
Caleb headed up the tasting committee on Thanksgiving- who could blame him?
Jessie and I took the kids to Wonderscope, the children's museum here in KC. The kids had so much fun!!! We learned two things: always visit the water room first (so they have time to dry off:) and bring an extra change of clothes...They also had a play hospital room at the museum. They enjoyed giving each other check ups and shots :) And Jessie and I learned an interesting fact: if you take all your blood vessels and place them end-to-end they would stretch around the world twice! Wow, we were impressed!
We had an extra-special visit from ANN last week! The kids got to show off all their new skills and give "Aunt" Ann some love :)
I really have to share a couple more of what I call my "Hy-Vee moments". Have you other moms noticed that there are many memorable (the good and bad type) moments that occur at the grocery store?? Several weeks ago I was at HyVee with the kids and they were especially restless- Caleb of course wants to walk now and not ride in the cart, and he often forgets about my stern reminder to stay by my cart to avoid dire consequences, which involve having to ride in the cart (which he hates, and I do too, because he throws a fit!) On this particular trip, I caught Ellie eating the bananas, peel and all! and she kept saying "eat" everytime she saw something she wanted and reaching for it. The old man that helps with the groceries said to me, "God couldn't get me to come back and do what you do!" HAHA- did it look that bad?!?! I was about at my breaking point, when I had an unexpected bonding moment with another mom, whose little boy was screaming and crying because he was devastated over not getting to take home the Thomas the Train humidifier- haha- we just looked at each other and smiled, didn't have to say a word.
And just the other day, I took Caleb with me to get a few last minute things for Christmas dinner, and as I was picking out some produce, he proceeded to take bites out of two apples right off the shelf, and then tried to put them back :) Then while I was picking out eggs, he took one out of the container and just dropped it on the floor- splat! So we had to go find the HyVee worker and apologize and ask him to help us clean it up! As if this was not enough, we went to pick out a present for Samson and (in the middle of the pre-Christmas grocery shopping crowd) Caleb blurts out: "Mommy? Do you poop in you's underwears!?!?!" So embarrassing!

We had a recent visit from our good friends the Hunnicutts! It's always a good time!! And we were amazed when we got all the kids on the couch- there are so many of them!! They are great friends, and such a rowdy bunch! We are looking forward to their next visit in January.

A few of this year's Christmas traditions:
*pancakes with whipped cream for breakfast!*beautiful candle-light service at church*breakfast with Santa, complete with balloon animals:The Santa part did not go so well- I will show you the picture at our house- it's CLASSIC :)
*Daniel imparted his secrets of proper Oreo-dunking to his firstborn:*spent Christmas morning at home with just the 4 of us- we slept in (this is a relative term nowadays), enjoyed breakfast, opened stockings, and a few gifts, and listened to Christmas music. Ellie enjoyed serving us tea with her new tea set :)
*leaning to play Slap-Jack with uncle Brig*sitting at the "kids table" for the first time:We are SO excited that another little one will be joining! Daniel and I will have a new niece or nephew this summer. Congrats to Jess and Brig :)
*We made lots of Christmas goodies to share with our neighbors, teachers, friends, and family:(don't worry, he ate this one)
*Went to Daniel's parents house to celebrate Christmas. It was so great to spend time with our family and enjoy being together and sharing gifts.*My family came to our house again this year for Christmas and it was awesome! We had so much fun relaxing, eating (of course:)), playing cards, and the kids had a great time too! I tried some new recipes for our Christmas dinner. The turkey and stuffing turned out great! Rolls....not so much: Isn't that just like life- not always perfect or the way we planned, but always memorable!!

Happy New Year!
Love, the linharts

1 comment:

Ann said...

Love all the pictures:)