Reflections on Easter: (4/12/20)
So a few weeks ago, I was talking to Dan about how I’ve been waiting and watching for one of my favorite plants to spring up from the ground. An Asiatic lily plant that I’ve been nurturing for a few years. He got reallllllll quiet….and finally admitted that he got a little overzealous with the weedkiller and sprayed it. He said he “saw some green” and thought it looked like a weed. I’ll spare you the details but that little revelation didn’t go over well.
So a few weeks ago, I was talking to Dan about how I’ve been waiting and watching for one of my favorite plants to spring up from the ground. An Asiatic lily plant that I’ve been nurturing for a few years. He got reallllllll quiet….and finally admitted that he got a little overzealous with the weedkiller and sprayed it. He said he “saw some green” and thought it looked like a weed. I’ll spare you the details but that little revelation didn’t go over well.
Fast forward to this past Friday, which was a particularly hard day for me.
We celebrated Good Friday as a family, all a bit weary, drained, and tired.
Saturday morning came, and I found a sunny spot on the patio to be alone. And this is what I saw . My little plant breaking ground, against all odds.
I also cannot escape the little reminders of hope that spring up around me.
The plant emerging- that I thought was dead.
The sun, ever faithfully warming my spot on the patio.
My puppy, who literally puts her arms around my neck when we snuggle.
Sharing Will’s first communion together, at home, on Good Friday, with the rice cakes and elderberry juice we had on hand.
Tessa’s homemade card and blowing kisses.
The excerpt from The Book of Joy that I happened to send myself that very morning.
Thank you, God, for reminding me that sometimes the worst is not the worst.
The stripping away is actually clearing the way,
Preparing the ground,
Making room for new growth.
Because sometimes life surprises you.
Because sometimes God surprises you.
Because sometimes life springs up in the places you thought were barren.
Because things get stripped away, and things get added in.
Because Good Friday happens.
And then Easter comes.


No comments:
Post a Comment