~Gary Thomas
Can
I get an "Amen!"? I LOVE being a mom and not a day goes by that I'm
not thankful for these three little people God has entrusted us with.
Truly, does it get more precious than this?!?
....BUT
that doesn't mean I think it's easy (nope!) or that there aren't times
when I could literally just fall asleep standing up (yep, like now!) or
that I don't often pray that I'm not completely scarring them for life (I
guess we have to give them some good stories that they can tell their
kids someday). There are days moments
milliseconds when I think I have it all together, when I look at three
clean, smiling little faces and hear "I love you, mom. I'm going to be a
good listener today"....and then I am startled from my daydream
(usually by an "uh-oh! I spilled my milk" or a "she pinched me!" or some
loud crashing sound coming from down the hall) and I am reminded that I
don't know a thing! (I thought I would have it all figured out by #3,
but truly it's like starting over every time). One of my patients today
asked me how I do it with 3 kids- I think a good sense of humor is key,
and not taking things too seriously. After all, they are only little
for a little while.
Well, now that I got that off my chest....here's what our crazy bunch has been up to!
We
had a little 4th of July party with good friends and lots of good food!
We were really feeling patriotic this year- even bought a flag to fly
out on the front of the house and made "Happy Birthday USA" posters-




We enjoyed the firework show from the comfort of our back deck while we chowed down on some USA themed food!
We
talk a lot about nutrition at our house- about how we should eat
healthy foods that are good for our bodies. We definitely have our fair
share of treats (in fact, I'm just swallowing an Oreo now...haha), but I
try to teach the kids the importance of why we eat- to help our bodies
grow strong and stay healthy and to have energy to do the things we love
to do. We've been talking about how meat gives us protein to keep our
muscles strong, diary gives us calcium to keep our bones strong, and
that fruits and veggies give us lots of vitamins, minerals, and fiber
(yes, I did explain what fiber does- that was by far their favorite!
lol). We were talking about how citrus fruits, especially oranges, give
us Vitamin C which keeps us from getting sick. So the other day
Caleb had a nasty cough and I said, "Wow, I wonder where that cough
came from". He got real quiet, and I could see his little wheels turning, and he finally said, "Well....I didn't eat my big orange at
preschool today" haha...sounds like it is sinking in :)Speaking of funny things they say, there are a few others to add to the list. The other day we were swimming at Aunt Kelsey's pool and the kids were walking/swimming around and chatting with whoever would listen. Caleb went up to some girls who were tanning and texting and said: "What are you doing with your phones?" Then he found a group of twenty-somethings lounging in the shallow end and struck up a conversation about how he likes the Jayhawks, but not the Tigers (yesss!). Then out of the blue he says to one of the guys (who had a nice crew cut and an average amount of hair), "Wow! You have a LOT of hair!"....I guess it all depends on what you have to compare to, haha! Dan got a good laugh out of that one. A few days ago, Ellie and Dan were in an 'argument' about something and she said, "DAD! Are you being sensitive?". OK, I'll share just one more. Just now, the kids were watching Beauty and the Beast and Caleb exclaimed, "The beast doesn't have a very good attitude, mom." You just never know what they might say :) Notice I chose not to share some of the more embarrassing exclamations (you know, the ones where you hear them say or do something and realize it's them reflecting your flaws and bad habits? Hate it when that happens! haha
We celebrated this little diva's 3rd birthday this month!

The morning of her birthday, I woke up to the sound of Dan blowing up tons of helium balloons (yes, I might have purchased a helium tank in honor of their birthdays- we do make a big deal about birthdays around here...). She woke up to find tons of balloons lining the hallway outside her room.

She had been saying for days, to anyone who would listen, "I have a secret! (whispers) Guess what!!?? It's my BIRTHDAY!". So she was super excited that the day was actually here. She got to have a special pancake breakfast:

And we continued our tradition of measuring her height on the doorframe on her birthday. Ellie grew a whopping 4 1/8 inches in the last year!!

She has become quite the painter lately- we think she will be the family artist (none of the rest of us are very talented in that area...haha)
(Pics from the big birthday bash coming soon...in my next post)
We celebrated cousin Kelynn's first birthday, too! Happy 1st Birthday Kelynn!
The kids (especially Ellie!) have mastered the art of finding
excuses to get out of bed after we tuck them in at night. You know, the
usual, "I'm hungry/thirsty/have to poop (*this one actually works, and
they've figured it out, because how can you argue with that? It's just
not fair*)/my tummy hurts/I'm scared of the dark/ can we listen to a CD?
/she hit me, etc. Ellie's latest line is "ummmm....mommy...I need hugs
and kisses and a blessing and snuggles and
rub my back" and then she tops it off with a sweet little smile- how do
you say no to that? I secretly love it, but hope I'm not creating a
monster- hah
We have been doing a LOT of traveling this month, too! I took a day trip to Lawrence with the kids and Ann to visit Natasha (and baby Lucas). Our time together is always so sweet, and now with kids in the mix there's never a dull moment. One highlight was the Cupcake Construction Zone- yum!
We spent some time with Dan's family in Waverly, KS for their annual Ohio Days parade and carnival-
Ellie and Avery were pretty good buddies!
And William (and Daddy) did great, even in the 100+ degree heat :)
We were in Wichita three times, also. Lots of good time with family.
| Grandpa David |
![]() |
| Grandpa Mike |
![]() |
| Great Grandpa Charles (or "Jars" as they call him), Uncles John and Ryan |
And my 10 year highschool reunion!! The kids got to visit the Home of the Grizzlies :)

We also spent some time with Great Grandma and Great Grandpa VanSickle:

![]() |
| I absolutely love this picture! Grandma was singing to Will and he LOVED it. Sweet as can be. |
So, my baby boy is almost 9 months old now!
The nine month mark
is always a big deal to me, because that means that he has been living
in this world for roughly the same duration that he was living inside of
me. Kind of strange, I know, but there is something about it that seems
like a letting go- and a reminder of the miracle that he is. And it
gets me all sentimental. Getting to experience these miracles (times
three!) in my own life and also witnessing new life every week via
sonography makes me wonder, how can anyone deny that there is a
Creator? God is present everywhere and His fingerprints are all over
each one of our lives- this is definitely true of little Will. As most
of you know, our little William is the happiest baby we've ever known.
He is so laid back and just full of smiles and love for whoever is
willing to receive it. If he is in the bouncer at daycare and sees me
walk in the door to pick him up after work, he starts smiling and
jumping up and down so hard that the bouncer literally crashes and
sounds like it might bust! He loves to laugh and give us little pats on
the back, and loves snuggles from just about anyone.
He is the giver of
so much joy. Here are a few examples. We attended my Grandma Payne's
funeral on July 12. Caleb and Ellie stayed with Uncle Ryan, but Will came
with us to the service. It was a beautiful time of remembrance of
Grandma's life, and many tears flowed. William did really well, and was
full of smiles as usual. He gave a bit of joy in an otherwise heavy
atmosphere. The minister even said, of Will, "He is a reminder that
life continues on." Later that same weekend, we went to visit my
Grandma Dixie in the hospital. She was nearing the end of her third
hospitalization in recent months, and had just been given some difficult
news regarding her condition. (Praise God she is home now, and doing
well).


















No comments:
Post a Comment