background

Thursday, April 19, 2012




Well, it’s safe to say that I have taken quite the sabbatical from contributing to our family blog. I think my last post was back in 2010…oops. It’s at this point that I must shower Lisa with complements, as she is amazing at making sure our family history is updated. She truly is the manager of our household, and I’m not sure if we could survive without her.


I’ve been reading a book lately, Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas, and have been thinking a lot about my kids and the wonderful and unique blessings they each bring to our family. How amazing it is to be a parent, and how immense of a responsibility it is to be entrusted with their lives and upbringing. The purpose of this entry, and my next couple of entries down the road, is to highlight each one of our children. We have three amazing children (Caleb, Ellasyn “Ellie”, and William), and I want to give special attention to each of them, as they are all different and unique. With the most obvious order being birth, let’s begin with Caleb.


Where do I start with Caleb? He’s my first-born; my little man; my future attorney (he’s becoming extremely skilled in logic, reasoning, and debate); and my passionate adventurer. God has truly gifted him with amazing talents, and an ever-increasing and energetic personality that can tire a world-class athlete, of which I am not.


Let’s start with his growing ability to reason and think through problems and circumstances. This is best described through a hilarious conversation between him and Ellie last week:


  • Caleb: Mommy, I would like some chocolate milk please.
  • Ellie: Mommy, I want some milk!! (You will learn about Ellie’s assertive disposition in her post. )
  • Caleb: Don’t you want chocolate milk, Ellie?
  • Ellie: No! I don’t like chocolate milk.
  • Caleb: Do you like chocolate?
  • Ellie: Chocolate?
  • Caleb: Yeah, chocolate. Like chocolate pudding, chocolate treats…chocolate.
  • Ellie: Yes, I like chocolate.
  • Caleb: And you like milk?
  • Ellie: Yes. I love milk.
  • Caleb: Then you should like chocolate milk. That’s silly.

Lisa and I were stunned. He just proved his 2-year old sister wrong with logical reasoning. There have also been times where Lisa and I have almost been convinced enough to change our stance on a certain issue. This argumentative side of his personality has also required great patience on my part as a father. As his dad, particularly a dad who likes quick adherence to requests, I have struggled with this. To confess, I can become quite irritated and turn into a drill sergeant quickly. My four-year old son has taught me a lot about patience, endurance, and humility. Who knew I would learn so much as a parent? I only pray that one day I can teach him as much as he has taught me in 4 short years.


Caleb is also very passionate! Board games, playtime, bikes, shooting hoops, music, singing, dancing, etc…are just a few of the activities he participates in with a contagious zeal. He loves to do things in a way that inspires others to move as fast as he does…literally. If I get passed on the highway by another car, I can expect to hear about it from Mr. Lightning McQueen in the backseat. Life is his game, and passion is his name. If I could introduce just an ounce of his passion into my roles as a dad, husband, son, or friend, I would be a much better man. Perhaps I should try.


Finally, Caleb is his grandfather’s grandson. For those of you who know, my dad is incredibly sociable and is really good at engaging others in conversation. In other words, he could have a 2-hour conversation with a complete stranger without skipping a beat. Caleb is the same way. Another quick story that happened at my parents’ house over Easter:


  • Caleb to a complete stranger at the playground: Hey, what’s your name? (yelled loudly)
  • Stranger with headphones on: Chirp, chirp.
  • Caleb looking at his grandma with shoulders shrugged: I guess he didn’t want to talk.

LOL. I really did laugh out loud there because his ability to socialize truly is funny and a joy to see. I can always count on my son for a good conversation. I love that trait.


A couple more things, and I will wrap up this post. One thing Lisa and I did for each of our kids when they were very young is establish a verse in the Bible that we wanted to pray over them, and return to as we raise them. Caleb’s is Joshua 1:9:


Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.


What great wisdom and comfort there is in that verse! I pray so dearly for my son to know that even though I love him without reservation, the Lord of this universe loves him that much more; so much more abundantly than he could ever imagine. And even more, that His Creator is with him wherever he goes. Living life with this knowledge can provide so much courage and strength of spirit, guiding him at all times. As Jesus said in Matthew 28:20, “…And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Let us all pray for our children and loved ones to come into this knowledge!


Finally, Lisa and I will be dedicating William at church in May, and one of the things we are to think about is what type of character we hope for our children to have in 30 years. So I ask myself, “What do I wish for Caleb when he is 30?” I go back to Joshua 1:9, hoping that he lives his life with such strength and courage; and not his own strength or own courage, but strength that is only found in the Lord. I hope that in the midst of life’s greatest joys and lowest sorrows, he is able to always return to the courage, strength, and peace that is found in Christ. I hope that God would use his zeal for life, his gift of reasoning, and his sociable disposition, for His glory. I hope that Caleb uses his gifts to bring joy, comfort, and encouragement to the spirits of his future family, children, and friends. And finally, I look forward to watching him take his gifts head on into the world, advancing God’s grace, truth, and love wherever he goes.


All this being said, I am so thankful for my children, and I am thankful that Caleb is my son. I look forward to the future with joyful anticipation, excited to watch him grow into the man God has destined for him to be.


Blessings!


Dan


P.S. We just returned from Caleb’s baseball game…he did awesome, slugging a few right back up the middle!


No comments: